Monday, May 24, 2010

like you'll live forever


I've heard it said:

"Live like you'll die tomorrow; dream like you'll live forever."

To be honest, it's always bothered me. I understand the sentiment - and the distinction made between living and dreaming - but, in the end, I find it frustrating. Sure, it's a great excuse to be spontaneous or to get excited about some great plans...but how is it actually supposed to influence how I make my decisions?

I'm having trouble thinking about how to live by both of these phrases at the same time. One underscores the limited utility of plans, while the other encourages making them.

When I'm feeling particularly "Carpe Diem," it's hard for me to even justify going to work. What if I do get hit by a bus tomorrow? Wouldn't it have been better to have spent today with friends lying in the park? I should shirk responsibility at every opportunity in favor of an interesting or more enjoyable alternative...right?

Given that tomorrow is never guaranteed, why should I ever be doing something I don't want to be doing as a means to an also-not-guaranteed end?

I know how this reads. Can't I just be independently wealthy and be a hippy for the rest of my life?


(Given the opportunity...would I actually turn it down?)

No comments:

Post a Comment